On 30 June 2012 11:17, Mikel L. Forcada <m...@dlsi.ua.es> wrote:
> Different criteria may be used. Francis Tyers seems to favour reusability
> (which is nice, but, I agree with Felipe, secondary if it is not reusability
> inside Apertium),

Fran can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is about some
high-minded ideal of reusability[1], it's the natural outcome of
countless hours of frustration caused by trying to reuse other
people's gender-less dictionaries, and vowing that noone else should
have to waste that much time on it. At least, that's how I'd look at
it.

But more than that, I hate hate hate having to check the monolingual
dictionary as well as the bilingual just to get the gender (this comes
up quite a lot in testvoc).

So, even if keeping the gender wasn't already a huge part of my
workflow (it is - I have a large collection of crappy scripts to
generate monodix entries from the bidix), those would be reason enough
for me to keep gender (etc.!), even when not strictly necessary.

[1] There is that, too: the last batch of new Freedict dictionaries
were conversions of Apertium dictionaries.

--
<Sefam> Are any of the mentors around?
<jimregan> yes, they're the ones trolling you