El ds 30 de 06 de 2012 a les 20:45 +0100, en/na Jimmy O'Regan va
escriure:
> On 30 June 2012 11:17, Mikel L. Forcada <m...@dlsi.ua.es> wrote:
> > Different criteria may be used. Francis Tyers seems to favour reusability
> > (which is nice, but, I agree with Felipe, secondary if it is not reusability
> > inside Apertium),
>
> Fran can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is about some
> high-minded ideal of reusability[1], it's the natural outcome of
> countless hours of frustration caused by trying to reuse other
> people's gender-less dictionaries, and vowing that noone else should
> have to waste that much time on it. At least, that's how I'd look at
> it.

Exactly. Unless you have tried to convert a free (e.g. GPL) dictionary
to Apertium (e.g. lttoolbox format) without having the gender on either
side (or other necessary info), you cannot really understand the
frustration.

> But more than that, I hate hate hate having to check the monolingual
> dictionary as well as the bilingual just to get the gender (this comes
> up quite a lot in testvoc).

+1

> So, even if keeping the gender wasn't already a huge part of my
> workflow (it is - I have a large collection of crappy scripts to
> generate monodix entries from the bidix), those would be reason enough
> for me to keep gender (etc.!), even when not strictly necessary.

Exactly. I think the amount of time saved by keeping gender in the
bilingual dictionary is more than the amount of time spent either:

a) removing it and getting that information from the bilingual dicts
b) writing structural transfer rules

But perhaps there are counter examples..

F.