Hi everybody!

As discussed in another thread, I've been working on self-contained
language pair packages as part of my GSoC project, which deals with the
embeddability of lttoolbox-java. This time I'm writing to the list in order
to present two new applications that I've developed based on that previous
work: Apertium Caffeine and an Apertium plug-in for OmegaT! Let's talk
about them one by one:
*

Apertium Caffeine*

Apertium Caffeine is a small, user-oriented Apertium client, similar in
concept to apertium-tolk, but which has some great advantages over it:

   - It doesn't depend on anything external and is written in Java. This
   means that it is completely platform-independent (it can work on Linux, OS
   X as well as Windows) and its only requirement is a Java VM (i.e. you don't
   need a separate installation of Apertium or its language pairs). Since Java
   uses UTF-16 internally, we shouldn't be having any encoding problem neither.
   - It manages language pairs within the app. In other words, you can
   install, uninstall and even update language pairs from the app itself in a
   simple, user-friendly way.
   - Some other features for a better user experience that you will find as
   you use the program: highlighting of unknown and ambiguous words, full
   language names...

The source code can be found
here<https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-caffeine/>,
but you can also download and test the ready-to-use JAR
here<https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-caffeine.jar>
.

*Apertium plug-in for OmegaT*

This is something that some of you suggested in the other thread and I have
implemented as a proof of concept of how easy can lttoolbox-java be
integrated in bigger Java projects. It shares most of its code with
Apertium Caffeine, including the ability to manage language pairs within
the app and, of course, it works offline.

The source code can be found
here<https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-omegat/>,
and the ready-to-use JAR
here<https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-omegat.jar>.
If you want to try it, simply copy the JAR to the plugins directory of your
OmegaT installation. The next time that you launch OmegaT, you will see a
new option at Options -> Machine Translate called "Apertium (offline)",
which has to be checked to activate the plug-in. If you want to configure
the plug-in or manage language pairs, go to Options -> Apertium settings.

It is important to note that these settings as well as the installed
language pairs are shared with Apertium Caffeine, which means that, if you
install, uninstall or update a language pair, the changes will be reflected
in both programs. This is a design decision that I took, but it would be
simple to make them independent if you prefer it.

Please, note that both are still under development, so you might find that
some stuff is not working as it should. Most notably, the maintenance of
online language pair packages is being discussed in another thread, and we
haven't taken a definitive solution yet, so both apps are currently using
some testing language pairs that I keep in my branch.

In case you try them and find some bug, or have any suggestion, please
write about it!