Hi there,
in three letters: wow! A more detailed assessment follows.
_*
Apertium Caffeine*_

Apertium Caffeine is a small, user-oriented Apertium client, similar in concept to apertium-tolk, but which has some great advantages over it:

  * It doesn't depend on anything external and is written in Java.
    This means that it is completely platform-independent (it can work
    on Linux, OS X as well as Windows) and its only requirement is a
    Java VM (i.e. you don't need a separate installation of Apertium
    or its language pairs). Since Java uses UTF-16 internally, we
    shouldn't be having any encoding problem neither.
  * It manages language pairs within the app. In other words, you can
    install, uninstall and even update language pairs from the app
    itself in a simple, user-friendly way.

Cool. Works like a charm. A minor quibble: I said I wanted it installed in /tmp and it decided that every file in there was an already installed language pair. Perhaps a regex identifying language pairs by name would be very helpful.

  * Some other features for a better user experience that you will
    find as you use the program: highlighting of unknown and ambiguous
    words, full language names...

Haven't checked these yet.

The source code can be found here <https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-caffeine/>, but you can also download and test the ready-to-use JAR here <https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-caffeine.jar>.

_*Apertium plug-in for OmegaT*_

This is something that some of you suggested in the other thread and I have implemented as a proof of concept of how easy can lttoolbox-java be integrated in bigger Java projects. It shares most of its code with Apertium Caffeine, including the ability to manage language pairs within the app and, of course, it works offline.

The source code can be found here <https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-omegat/>, and the ready-to-use JAR here <https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/gsoc2012/artetxem/apertium-omegat.jar>. If you want to try it, simply copy the JAR to the plugins directory of your OmegaT installation. The next time that you launch OmegaT, you will see a new option at Options -> Machine Translate called "Apertium (offline)", which has to be checked to activate the plug-in. If you want to configure the plug-in or manage language pairs, go to Options -> Apertium settings.

The menu appearde but this one crashed on me: I think the problem is that I had a previous installation somewhere else (they use the same .java/.userPrefs/org/apertium/ . I remove these.

Then on launching OmegaT I get a dialog that may be confusing for some, as it does not identify itself as an Apertium warning. It should...

It kindly asks me to decide where to install itself, and where to install language pairs. Then I open a project, mark "Apertium offline" in the Machine Translation options, and it crashes.

    at java.util.ArrayList.rangeCheck(ArrayList.java:571)
    at java.util.ArrayList.remove(ArrayList.java:412)
at org.apertium.lttoolbox.process.State.nodeStatePool_get(State.java:101)
    at org.apertium.lttoolbox.process.State.copy(State.java:145)
    at org.apertium.lttoolbox.process.State.copy(State.java:158)
at org.apertium.lttoolbox.process.FSTProcessor.analysis(FSTProcessor.java:857)
    at org.apertium.lttoolbox.LTProc.doMain(LTProc.java:287)
    at org.apertium.pipeline.Dispatcher.doLTProc(Dispatcher.java:259)
    at org.apertium.pipeline.Dispatcher.dispatch(Dispatcher.java:333)
    at org.apertium.Translator.translate(Translator.java:305)
at org.omegat.plugin.machinetranslators.ApertiumTranslate.translate(ApertiumTranslate.java:62) at org.omegat.core.machinetranslators.BaseTranslate.getTranslation(BaseTranslate.java:64) at org.omegat.gui.exttrans.MachineTranslateTextArea$FindThread.search(MachineTranslateTextArea.java:128) at org.omegat.gui.exttrans.MachineTranslateTextArea$FindThread.search(MachineTranslateTextArea.java:103) at org.omegat.gui.common.EntryInfoSearchThread.run(EntryInfoSearchThread.java:95)

I try again and it works. Very nice.

There is one thing that could be easily solved. Víctor Sánchez (cc-ed) maybe can help you. When one uses the Apertium webservice from inside OmegaT, we avoid translating the tags (<u0>, etc.). Some minor changes were made to the code that calls Apertium as a webservice (you'll easily find them, but if not, I can help) and some changes were made in the webservice itself (Víctor can help here). I think it is a matter of using some regular expressions to hide these in some way...

You should consider sending a message to the OmegaT list. I can help here, as I am subscribed. I think this is very, very important! And perhaps you can get OmegaT people to help with some of the issues.

It is important to note that these settings as well as the installed language pairs are shared with Apertium Caffeine, which means that, if you install, uninstall or update a language pair, the changes will be reflected in both programs. This is a design decision that I took, but it would be simple to make them independent if you prefer it.
Oops I hadn't read that. I think it would be nice to have separate options, yes.

Please, note that both are still under development, so you might find that some stuff is not working as it should. Most notably, the maintenance of online language pair packages is being discussed in another thread, and we haven't taken a definitive solution yet, so both apps are currently using some testing language pairs that I keep in my branch.
Nice. We should solve this.

In case you try them and find some bug, or have any suggestion, please write about it!
Just did.

Eskerrik asko

Mikel

--
Mikel L. Forcada (http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~mlf/)
Departament de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics