These aribitrary limits

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:37:43 +0200, Bernie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In case you are interested in some (current?) limitations:
> Protocol -   9
> User     -  40
> Password -  16
> Host     -  40
> File     - 256

> So I guess some very lengthy URLs woun't work, but I can't remember seeing
> an URL that stretches over 3 rows so I guess it hasn't been reported yet ;-)

and the problems they cause *have* been complained about going back to
version 1.4x or longer.  One problem frequently caused is inability to
use search engines as designed, and asp stuff not working.

There is at least one similar arbitrary limit in InSight, which I
pointed out to someone more than a year ago, which can cause some
problems [and may be tied into the inability to use comma delimited
multiple addresses, etc].

Complaining, pointing out the problems caused, never did any good ... it
stayed a problem through multiple upgrades, so I imagine others -- as I
did -- simply gave up and crossed their fingers that it would eventually
get fixed after a working Linux version was out.  About now many of us
know better than to hold our breath in anticipation.

l.d.

--

Join B'FOR - B'mothers For Open Records
[Associate members of triad also welcome; membership confidential.]

-- Arachne V1.64, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/