Hi Samuel!

10 Dec 2001, "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 SH> I think this operating system can be installed somehow from DOS,
 SH> but the book doesn't explain how, and the CD-ROM apparently has
 SH> no DOS-based partitioning program for Linux.
Why do you need it ?!?

If your computer can boot from CD-ROM do so.
If not, than make a bootdisk (rawhide bootdisk.img <I don't know the exact
name of the disk image>)
boot from it, and there you are

 SH> I am very puzzled as to why Caldera would have produced a CD-ROM
 SH> for installing Linux from Windows instead of from DOS.
I personally don't like caldera linux ...
it is very 'graphic'

 SH> There still remained many empty directories and some files associated
 SH> with my Windows 95 installation.  I tried removing these directories
 SH> by using the DOS "rd" command.  This resulted in an error message
 SH> saying "directory not empty", even though an inspection revealed that
 SH> the directory was indeed empty.
Either hidden files (h attrib) or the rest of long filenames.

 SH> Also I tried to delete some of the few remaining Windows files by
 SH> using the DOS "del" command.  I would get an error message saying
 SH> something to the effect that I could not delete files with long file
 SH> names.  Then I booted to A: using a WIN 95 boot disk. I couldn't
 SH> delete the files having long file names even when I used the WIN 95
 SH> version of DOS.
Ähmm .. the first del has to be also win95 version of dos (dos 7.0)
if not, it would have known nothing about LFNs.

 SH> Also I could not delete the empty directories by using the "rd"
 SH> command.
why not use linux to delete ?!?
or run scandisk on the partition to clean remainings of LFNs ?!?

 SH> Sam Heywood

CU, Ricsi