On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:06:11 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:22:57 -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

>> No, it does not let you out.  You can run a Unixish version of PINE
>> in a remote shell, even if your operating system is DOS.  The Unixish
>> versions will access POP3 servers.

> <snip>

>> For accessing your POP3 inboxes you can use Unixish versions of PINE
>> running on a remote Unixish shell account.  You can use DOS Telnet or
>> SSHDOS to log on to your remote shell account.  For security reasons
>> it is preferable to log on using SSHDOS instead of Telnet.

> That sounds interesting. But I have no idea where to start setting up
> something like that. Nor what SSHDOS might be.

You can sign up for a very fine and "almost free" remote Unixish shell
account running PINE at "http://sdf.lonestar.org";.  You can also sign up
for shell accounts running PINE from other services, but most of the
others are neither free nor even almost free.  Some universities will set
up for their students free Unix shell accounts on the university's
servers.

On many Unix shell accounts you will find PINE already set up for you
on the very first time you log on.  You will only need to tweak it to
suit your preferences and you will want to add some additional inboxes
so that you can access all of your other various POP3 and IMAP email
accounts.

SSHDOS is a terminal program somewhat similar to Telnet, the major
difference being that unlike Telnet, it encrypts your password.  It
is much more secure than Telnet.  There are SSH programs for many
different operating systems.  SSHDOS is the one to get for DOS.
It is freeware.  You can download it from one of the sourceforge
web sites or ftp sites.

> Perhaps for the time being I should put up with downloading everything
> and sorting it out offline...

> Thanks anyway for the tip. Maybe when I have more time I'll follow it
> up.

> Greg Mayman

Sam Heywood
--
This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser:
http://browser.arachne.cz/