On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:53:51 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:

>> Somehow Arachne needs to become a "project" that will attract
>> new talent and an influx of ability and energy.

> An excellent idea! Now if we could only get Michael to agree. Or even
> answer our mail. It seems he is much too busy with other projects to
> bother with Arachne.

To me, Michael seems to be acting quite paternally sane in not releasing
his codes etc. Would you allow a mob of squabbling children loose at
your bank account? [That may be a slightly awry analogy. Maybe vintage
wine collection, or collection of sports memorabilia would be better!]

Until WE, the users, can work out what we would like Arachne to do, and
write up some sort of plan on how to get there, he would be the safest
person to have the codes in safekeeping.

>> There is a large pool of DOS programmers involved in the FreeDOS
>> project--perhaps Arachne can become integrated into that
>> community as the "FreeDOS web browser".

>> Something like that has to happen for Arachne to evolve further
>> and become more capable.

One facility that I would like incorporated into Arachne is something
like http://www.mail2web.com/ where one can "see" the waiting mail
[whether it be one your current ISP or at another address] and then
choose to delete it BEFORE downloading it to reply. I have had several
300Mb messages sent to me, and with limited space and a slow modem I
have had to shell and delete some programs to make space to download
this mail, only to delete it instantly.

Arachne is ideal for people with small HDD's, and selective download of
mail would be an advantage, IMO. [Heck, I know people who do not even
have 300Mb HDD's, and presume that this size message would just halt
their access to their mail]

Oh, I've brewed to long. I'll just go back into the coffee pot!

Cheers!

Cooee and Love,
Kevin...  XXXXXXXXXXX
       =  in chilly Adelaide, South Australia, South Australia
                    Gourmet Capital of the world                =

-- Arachne V1.71;UE01, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/