2007/2/14, Gabriel Linder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> > 2007/2/14, Gabriel Linder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >> Why does Arch handle config files like this ? Crux has a sane default,
> >> which is "anything in /etc is not upgraded automatically", I
> >> (personnaly) find it more simple and accurate. I put everything I touch
> >> in NoUpgrade anyway, I am just curious...
> >>

> > NoUpgrade is not needed since pacman 2.9.8. But packages should have
> > all their config files added to backup array (if not - file a
> > bugreport).
>
> That's not really what I asked for : I wonder why pacman doesn't
> consider each file in /etc as if it were in NoUpgrade section. This
> should save time, as only non-standard config files should be listed
> elsewhere.

Forget about NoUpgrade, pacman uses different scheme since 2.9.8 that
uses hashes to compare files and decide what to do. This is better
than NoUpgrade because when file is changed in new package version but
local config file was untouched by user - it gets silently replaced
without tons of .pacnew files.
Now on topic. I understand your feature request as this:
pacman should assum that every etc/* file in package is in backup
array when updating package.
I suggest to post a feature request to bugtracker or start discussing
it on pacman-dev ML, not in this thread.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)