Roman Kyrylych wrote:
> Forget about NoUpgrade, pacman uses different scheme since 2.9.8 that
> uses hashes to compare files and decide what to do. This is better
> than NoUpgrade because when file is changed in new package version but
> local config file was untouched by user - it gets silently replaced
> without tons of .pacnew files.

I know that, I read the man ;-) In fact I did remove all my NoUpgrade
files when pacman 2.9.8 gets out, but it screwed up some files (and yes,
I filled bug reports at this time), so I put them back. This is a very
good behaviour, but I don't want to have something screwed up by a
missing backup entry (I prefer to deal with .pacnew files than having to
restore a config file after noticing it was screwed up, see
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12192&p=2 for an example).

> Now on topic. I understand your feature request as this:
> pacman should assum that every etc/* file in package is in backup
> array when updating package.

Not really a feature request, just a question.
> I suggest to post a feature request to bugtracker or start discussing
> it on pacman-dev ML, not in this thread.

Sure. Just to answer to other replies (I don't know if you would prefer
separate messages or not, please let me know) and close this topic if
everyone want :

Jan de Groot > if people edit this kind of config files, that's _their_
problem if their config is screwed up with an update. I did have some
problems and did solve them, what a big deal. Arch describes itself as
targeting experienced users, no ?

Aaron Griffin > Unmodified files wouldn't create .pacnew with pacman's
hashes, so I don't see a problem here.
 But not everyone one use vanilla init script, I have some modified
files I want to keep between upgrades like the one who runs ipw3945d as
non-root user.

Roman Kyrylych > localtime passwd shadow groups (and fstab) should not
be upgraded anyway, so I don't see your point here...

Jason Chu > Point taken. I guess it's better to do upgrades in runlevel
1 :-)