2007/7/29, Jan de Groot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> When it does things other than it's documented, it's buggy.

Ever heard of "known bugs"? ;)

> long long time ago we had this thing called staging and testing, where
> we uploaded versions as bind-9.4.1-1t1, which is the test version of
> bind-9.4.1-1. This logic also works for rc/beta packages: gcc-4.2.1rc1-1
> will be lower versioned than gcc-4.2.1-1. There's logic behind it, so
> it's not a bug ;)

Behind rc being lower version - yes, there is. Let's say if a number
is followed directly by a letter, it's higher version. If a number is
followed directly by a letter which is followed directly by a number,
it's lower version. At this point openssh came to my mind but I
checked and there hasn't been a single version without p[1-9] in it.
This makes sense to me.

--
Jaroslaw Swierczynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.archlinux.org | www.juvepoland.com