On 10/3/07, Sergej Pupykin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read pacman-optimize script and found that it just tar-untar pacman
> dir. Wiki page
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Improve_Pacman_Performance
>
> said that this script place files together on disk.
>
> I'm asking why? All modern filesystem have different empty space searching
> algorithms, but no FS place files from disk begining to end. (May be except
> FAT implementation).
>
> Many unix file systems use allocation groups which filling evenly.
>
> User never can make FS to put file in userselected location.
>
> Is anybody there who take increased pacman speed from pacman-optimize?

It is not a for-sure thing, but when one writes out the contents of a
tar file as a stream back to a disk, it is likely to be done in a
contiguous allocation, or at least a sequence of them. Even if it
isn't one continuous disk block, you highly reduce the previously
random access of the hundreds (or thousands) of small files in the
pacman DB.

If you are using ext3, using the dir_index option or whatever it is
increases performance as well.

-Dan