On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 04:24:59PM +0200, Damir Perisa wrote:
> Wednesday 03 October 2007, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
>  | Most of files in pacman dir have size < 1 block, so there is no
>  | fragmentation. 312 files from 28087 on my machine have size > 4K.
>  | All of them (except 2 big .install files) are filelisting and
>  | placed in pacman/local directory.
>
> the file itself is not fragmented. but the files all together are not
> at the same place after a long time of usage. in the worst case the
> harddrive has to do seek for every file instead of by one run read
> the whole pacman database.
>
> since this fragmentation happens only over a long time (years), most
> of the users will not feel the optimisation immediately. it makes
> also an implementation of a more sophisticated (complex) database
> futile. (a mysql db would be much faster than accessing single files
> i guess)
>
> - D

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the pacman-cage script, (or
they have and I didn't notice).  I never personally used
pacman-optimize, but I have always used pacman-cage on all of my arch
installs.  I was having 30 second waits on "pacman -Qs foo" before I
ran the script, now its 2.4 seconds. (and I literally used "foo").

Ryan -