> Was there some reason we weren't doing that before? :-)
Mostly lack of demand.  Everyone who has expressed any interest in contributing
to the documentation effort is granted access to the markdown.  All files are
hosted on dropbox, and it would be a trivial effort to make the folder public.
To me its really just a matter of deciding to manage a (hopefully) larger
number of contributors to the documentation.