On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Kasun Dananjaya Delgolla <kas...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Lakshman,
>
> In terms of Android you can use blocking APIs[1] in Marshmallow SDK (SDK
> 23) to achieve this. We already use DevicePolicyManager API so you can
> straightaway add these new stuff into the same android agent API layer.
> Also for older API levels ( < 23) earlier we used a mechanism just to warn
> the user if a blacklisted app is installed on the device since blocking of
> apps is not supported in those API levels.

We might need to dig slightly deep into some of the APIs around and see if
we've already got anything to mimic what's done in DevicePolicyManager,
which is part of Marshmallow SDK; in previous versions of Android SDK. So,
please check if there's any mechanism that'd potentially allow us to go
beyond merely warning the user when a blacklisted application is installed
and then block the installation completely particularly targeting SDKs < 23.

Cheers,
Prabath

> One more thing, we can add this to the system app which I'm in the process
> of building. Then we can enable COPE (rooted/system access granted) devices
> to blacklist/whitelist apps even though the API level is < 23.
>
> [1] -
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/admin/DevicePolicyManager.html
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Lakshman Udayakantha <lakshm...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a requirement to implement application white listing and
>> application black listing support in Enterprise Mobility Manager.
>> Application white listing means creating a list of applications which are
>> only allowed to run on mobile devices which are connected to EMM.
>> Application blacklisting is the opposite meaning in which there is a list
>> of applications which are only not allowed to run on mobile devices which
>> connected to EMM.
>> As a solution for this we thought to introduce a configuration to
>> identify black listing, white listing enabled or not and exactly which
>> listing is enabled and If each configuration enabled separately EMM will
>> behave in following manner.
>>
>> If ABL enabled,
>>
>> Role based application restriction will be provided. Administrator will
>> define a list of applications as a black list and a set of roles which is
>> to be restricted to the application, along with the applications.
>>
>> If AWL enabled,
>>
>> Administrator will check specific list of applications from admin UI.
>> Only these applications will load on app store. Other means of applications
>> installing will be blocked.
>> 1. Blocking side-loading.
>> 2. Third party app store blocking except EMM app store.
>> 3. Google Play app blocking
>>
>> Any suggestions and thoughts are highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Lakshman Udayakantha
>> WSO2 Inc. www.wso2.com