On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Bryan Caplan wrote:

> The simplest - but indirect - answer is just the Principle of
> Mediocrity.  Astronomically, there doesn't appear to be any big way in
> which our planet is special.  So why would we be special in this respect
> either?

Suppose all planets are identical in the sense that they each have
a one in 10^100 probability of developing intelligent life.  None
are "special" in any way ex ante; earth simply experienced a very
low probability event.  Isn't such an argument consistent with both
the Principle and the observation that we haven't come across any
ETs?

> The book goes through a lot of direct argument too.  At least according
> to its summary of the literature, it seems relatively easy for life to
> originate.  Once you've got life, evolution makes the emergence of
> intelligence at least seem somewhat likely.

I am not at all well read in this literature, but I have several times
read that the formation of self-replicating molecules is extremely
unlikely.  According to the book, that isn't the case?

Cheers, Chris.