Yesterday I posted this question to the list, but the spam blocker didn't
let it through. Below my question is a response from Mark Robinson.

Following the example provided at
http://groups.google.com/group/aroma-affymetrix/web/gene-1-0-st-array-analysis
,
I am running the following code:

chipType <- "HT_HG-U133A"
dataSet = "myData"

library(aroma.affymetrix)
verbose <- Arguments$getVerbose(-8, timestamp=TRUE)

cdf <- AffymetrixCdfFile$byChipType(chipType)
cs <- AffymetrixCelSet$byName(dataSet, cdf=cdf)

bc <- RmaBackgroundCorrection(cs)
csBC <- process(bc,verbose=verbose)
qn <- QuantileNormalization(csBC)
csN <- process(qn, verbose=verbose)

plm <- RmaPlm(csN)
fit(plm, verbose=verbose)

ces <- getChipEffectSet(plm)
gExprs <- extractDataFrame(ces, units=NULL, addNames=TRUE)

This seems to be working beautifully.

However, I'm doing an analysis that requires my expression values to
be summarized at the gene level rather than the probeset level.

In the gExprs object that results from the above analysis, I get a
data.frame object in which each row contains expression values for a
given probeset across all samples. What I would love to see in each
row is an expression value for a given gene. I believe RMA has the
ability to do this, but I'm not sure how to do it via
aroma.affymetrix.

Any suggestions? I'm happy to provide any more details that would be
helpful.

Regards,
-Steve

Hi Steve.

As to your question, it depends on what you need.  When you say you want
every row to be a gene, do you just want to know the gene name that goes
with the probeset identifier, or do you want to combine probesets such that
all probes for a given gene (by some definition -- RefSeq, Ensembl, etc) are
used to arise at the summarize value (a la the MBNI CustomCDF)?

If the former, then there are annotation packages within R.

If the latter, I have a few cautionary tales of doing this, since the
different probesets for a given locus can be measuring different variants.
 But if you still want to do this, we need to make a CDF file specific to
the annotation you want.  For the standard HG-U133 arrays, I know the MBNI
guys made the CDFs and we could use those within aroma.affymetrix.  I don't
know if they build custom CDFs for the HT- arrays.

Hope that gets you started.

Cheers,
Mark- Show quoted text -
Mark Robinson, PhD (Melb)