Aha. I have just discovered that the actual name of the CDF file makes
a difference.  Changing the CDF name back to Hs133P_Hs_REFSEQ.cdf
makes it work without errors. I'm guessing that using a well-known
name like "HG-U133_Plus_2" causes it to use Bioconductor's default
version, in some cases.  Am I right?

-Randy