http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2008/dec/22video1-sonu-sings-for-rediff.htm

Excerpts

*How did the industry people react to this change in you?*

People, who wanted to work with me, were obviously disturbed by my
unavailability. Others were rejoicing as they were getting more work. I
don't have to worry about how people reacted. I need to worry about myself
and my contribution to the industry.

Honestly, when people hear too much of you, they stop appreciating your
work. On the other hand, when they get less of you, they start missing you.
For example, I just hummed a part in *Guzarish* from
*Ghajini*<http://www.rediff.com/movies/ghajini08.html>.
I haven't sung the song. But the kind of reviews I got just for my humming
is amazing. And this is because they have not been hearing enough of me. If
they had heard me through the songs of *Ghajini*, they wouldn't have spoken
about my humming.

*Is it true that you had sung Guzarish a long time ago?*

Yes. I sang the song about two and a half years ago, with different lyrics.
When they changed the lyrics and asked me to sing, I wasn't available. I was
in New Jersey for my son's birth.

So they called Javed Ali and I think he has done an awesome job. The song
became his. But out of respect for me, A R Rahman kept the humming part
intact.

*Did that upset you?*

No. If I was an insecure person, it would have. It was meant to be Javed's
song, and so it is. Everybody has the right to earn their bread and butter.
There is no point cribbing about something that was not meant for you.

*What do you think went wrong with Yuvvraaj's music? Why, do you think, the
film and music did not do well?*

*Yuvvraaj* had great songs. My favourite was *Dost*. I wish I was given that
song to sing. I sang three songs from the film. I think they were not
promoted well. If they were, things would have been different.

*Mastam Mastam* came out when the film released and since the film didn't do
well, the song got lost. *Dil Ka Sikka* is out now, and the film is out of
theatres. A lot depends on the fate of the film. If it is promoted well, it
would have done well -- like *Nagada* from *Jab We Met*.