On 1/28/2009 8:25 AM India Time, _Anil Nair_ wrote:

> Didn't expect Jagjit Singh to say this ...or maybe its just yet again
> the "media monster" at work
>
> -A
>
> Jagjit is not singing any film songs currently because he feels there is
> a lack of taste on the part of today's filmmakers and music directors.

He is not getting work in films. He is frustrated because of it.

> "They don't know what ghazals are all about and they lack good taste in
> music. What does AR Rahman know about ghazals? He will never use a
> ghazal in his films. All they do is pick up tunes from the West," he says.

Jagjit Singh had been popular Ghazal singer at one time, no doubt, but
still, me and some of my friends never kept in any high regards. We feel
that there is hardly any variety in his ghazals. There would be about
only one or two dozen ghazals that are different, otherwise all his 100s
of ghazals sound same.

So, let me ask What does Jagjit Singh know about ghazals. One should
hear Begum Akhtar, Mallika Pukhraj, Mehdi Hasan, Ghulam Ali, Farida
Khanum, Abida Parveen to know about ghazals.

And, Madan Mohan will always remain the undisputable king of ghazals in
Hindi cinema.

> He criticises contemporary music directors for ruining the Indianness of
> sound. "Earlier, in the 60s and 70s, 90% of the music was based on the
> ghazal. Today, there's no poetry phrasing, it's all Western and the
> language is tapori -- a mix of English and Hindi. What kind of lyrics
> are Pappu can't dance
> <http://movies.indiainfo.com/2009/01/28/0901280633_gazals.html#> saala?"

Pappu can't dance wasn't a ghazal. It had the exact sound and theme and
feelings that the situation demanded. When you need to put sugar in a
vegetable dish, what is the point in decrying that salt is not sugar.

In one of jagjit singh's film, as an MD, he had given a song College ka
ek Ladka hai aur College ki ek ladki hai, something like that. Should we
also decry what kind of a ghazal this song was, because it was not a ghazal.

Ghazal is one genre of music. Ghazal is not entire music.

> Yet the popularity of the form endures. He says, "My audience has only
> grown over the years. I always improvise and add variations to my old
> songs on stage. Every ghazal is re-born on that day."

Anybody who likes ghazal must hear one of farida khanum's ghazal
"Dhoondhoge hamein mulqo-mulqo" to understand the essence of ghazals.
None of the ghazals by Jagjit Singh measures upto that.

> Interestingly, Jagjit only performs for a cause. On January 29, at the
> DNA and Rotary concert, he will perform to provide midday meals for
> children. He says, "I never give dates to concerts which are just
> money-making measures. I want to give back to the society. So I give my
> dates only to charity concerts."

That is good thinking.

--
Rawat