To add to it, Ghazals started as a written form of urdu/ hindi poetry.
It was sung in vocals, san any instruments, may be because Islam bars
music but allows a form of spoken/ sung poems called Naats.

Later on, music got added to ghazals.

So, him saying that ghazals have some particular, specific form of music
is totally wrong statement. Ghazal is a written form of poetry and has
nothing to do with music in real sense.

Now, when a poetry is put to music, it is the freedom of the composer
what kind of music he puts for it. ARR used modern music for ghazals in
Tahzeeb which sounded "out of place" to my ears used to other type of
music for ghazals, but still, they were ghazals because there poetry was
ghazal.

i am still sad that JS chose to trash pappu. It is like decrying what
kind of desh-bhakti pappu song would inculcate. Well, papu is not a
ghzal, not a desh-bhakti song.

--
Rawat

On 1/28/2009 1:15 PM India Time, _Aakarsh_ wrote:

> With all due respects to both, Jagjit Singh and also ARR, let us first
> note that it is an opinion and not necessarily a case of mud-slinging.
>
> And he was referring specifically to 'Ghazals' alone. We must note that
> of Jagjit Singh did not admire ARR, he would not have agreed to be part
> of 'Jan Gan Man' by ARR.
>
> So, lets not blow it out of proportion.
>
> Now, coming to ghazals, if one really listens to Ghazals, say the ones
> that were composed in films, what jagjit Singh said is absolutely right.
> We dont have ghazals anymore and lets accept it, even ARR did not
> compose many.
>
> ARR is music-driven composer and many lyricists, including Gulzar,
> agreed that he gets to write lyrics for the tunes already set into
> music. and later they work around it.
>

>     * In Ghazals, the words are born first and then music is set to the
>       words.
>     * Also, the composer has a very indepth acumen about the language,
>       words, vocabulary, usage etc, while composing Ghazals. More
>       importantly urdu.
>

> For both these points, ARR actually does not fit in.  So, he has a
> point. I am not saying that ARR is incapable of composing tunes for
> lyrics. Neither i am saying that ARR lacks lyrical sense. Just that he
> has recently started learning Hindi/urdu and that too out of the songs
> he composed. So, it is not that he speaks/converses in Hindi/urdu to
> have a grasp/mastery over the language to understand the nuances and
> then set music accordingly so that certain words outshine the music, as
> the ghazals demand that.
>
> Jagjit Singh is a seasoned ghazal singer and he has seen the length and
> breadth of this field called 'Ghazals', having been one of the great
> singers himself. So, from his angle and point of view, it is natural for
> him to feel so. Rahman songs have good lyrics for sure, but they are
> definitely not comparable to the ones in Ghazals or the world which
> Jagjit Singh has seen.
>
> The only exception is ARR's Tehzeeb, which had 3 wonderful Ghazals, that
> reaffirmed my faith in ARR that he can compose good ghazals too. But
> tell me, How many people know about Tehzeeb, because it is not a great
> audio-hit commercially, for us to see it in all TV channels. And also,
> How many Tehzeebs did ARR do after that? None. I am sure that Jagjit
> Singh never got to listen to this album.
>
> Just that ARR is not getting film-makers who insist on such rich
> ghazals. Whatever might be reason, Jagjit has a point though. Lets look
> at it objectivistically, instead of just posting negative comments on
> Jagjit, without verifying whether he has a valid point or not.
> Regards
> /*Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla.*/
> *//*
> */http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot.com <http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot.com/> /*

      • ... ramakrisha laxmana subramanian siva gopala acharya iyer .aiyooo amma idli wada dosa sambar chatni .
      • ... jibandevta
        • ... Vinayakam Murugan
      • ... Aakarsh
        • ... Vinayakam Murugan