Seriously? Are you trying to defend "everything" that he said in
that interview?

1. What does AR Rahman know about ghazals?
2. He will never use a ghazal in his films.
3. All they do is pick up tunes from the West

He starts something which is personal here, singling out somebody
and then try to generalize it in his third sentence. If you take
each of the question one by one in the same order it was said, the
answer would be

1. "Not much as you know, but not nothing"
2. Ya right. If you don't listen to his film songs, you will
always end up using the word "Never"
3. Ooooo the generalization. If only he had mentioned "he" instead
of "they", I would have gone on a rampage here. I have been
defending Rahman on this for more than 15 years now. Picking up
tunes they say.

As somebody said, I smell sour grapes.

Aakarsh,
With all due respects, Jagjit Singh is a great Ghazal artist. But,
you got to stop putting oxymorons in your sentences. "We dont have
ghazals anymore and lets accept it, even ARR did not compose
many." -I read your blog (spent a few
minutes there) and understand that you love poetry but vehemently
defending these statements are not the way to go here.

By the way, a director gets to say how many Ghazals are to be
there in a movie.

Rgds.

--- In arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com, Aakarsh <aakarsh...@...>
wrote:

> With all due respects to both, Jagjit Singh and also ARR, let us
first note that it is an opinion and not necessarily a case of mud-
slinging.

> And he was referring specifically to 'Ghazals' alone. We must
note that of Jagjit Singh did not admire ARR, he would not have
agreed to be part of 'Jan Gan Man' by ARR.

> So, lets not blow it out of proportion.
>
> Now, coming to ghazals, if one really listens to Ghazals, say
the ones that were composed in films, what jagjit Singh said is
absolutely right. We dont have ghazals anymore and lets accept it,
even ARR did not compose many.

> ARR is music-driven composer and many lyricists, including
Gulzar, agreed that he gets to write lyrics for the tunes already
set into music. and later they work around it.

> In Ghazals, the words are born first and then music is set to
the words.
> Also, the composer has a very indepth acumen about the language,
words, vocabulary, usage etc, while composing Ghazals. More
importantly urdu.

> For both these points, ARR actually does not fit in.  So, he has
a point. I am not saying that ARR is incapable of composing tunes
for lyrics. Neither i am saying that ARR lacks lyrical sense. Just
that he has recently started learning Hindi/urdu and that too out
of the songs he composed. So, it is not that he speaks/converses
in Hindi/urdu to have a grasp/mastery over the language to
understand the nuances and then set music accordingly so that
certain words outshine the music, as the ghazals demand that.

> Jagjit Singh is a seasoned ghazal singer and he has seen the
length and breadth of this field called 'Ghazals', having been one
of the great singers himself. So, from his angle and point of
view, it is natural for him to feel so. Rahman songs have good
lyrics for sure, but they are definitely not comparable to the
ones in Ghazals or the world which Jagjit Singh has seen.

> The only exception is ARR's Tehzeeb, which had 3 wonderful
Ghazals, that reaffirmed my faith in ARR that he can compose good
ghazals too. But tell me, How many people know about Tehzeeb,
because it is not a great audio-hit commercially, for us to see it
in all TV channels. And also, How many Tehzeebs did ARR do after
that? None. I am sure that Jagjit Singh never got to listen to
this album.

> Just that ARR is not getting film-makers who insist on such rich
ghazals. Whatever might be reason, Jagjit has a point though. Lets
look at it objectivistically, instead of just posting negative
comments on Jagjit, without verifying whether he has a valid point
or not.

> Regards
> Kamal Aakarsh Vishnubhotla.
>
> http://kamal-aakarsh.blogspot.com

that rahman is getting at the moment !
> we need to understand that rahman is not sticking to particular
kind of music, he goes according to

<rhythmcalls@ ...> wrote:

> > Didn't expect Jagjit Singh to say this ...or maybe its just
yet again
> the
> > "media monster" at work
> >
> > -A
> >
> > http://movies. indiainfo. com/2009/ 01/28/0901280633
_gazals.html

> > What does Rahman know about ghazals?Wednesday, January 28,
2009 06:31
> [IST]
> >
> > Mumbai: DNA
> <http://movies. indiainfo. com/2009/ 01/28/0901280633
_gazals.html#>,
> > in association with Rotary Club of Hiranandani Estate, Thane,
brings
> on
> > stage the legendary ghazal maestro to recreate the magic of the
> > music<http://movies. indiainfo. com/2009/ 01/28/0901280633
_gazals.html#>
> > form.
> > On the eve of Jagjit Singh Live in
> >
> Concert<http://movies. indiainfo. com/2009/ 01/28/0901280633
_gazals.html#>
> > (at
> > the Shanmukhananda Auditorium), the veteran exponent of
ghazals rues
> the end
> > of their era in Hindi films.
> >
> > Jagjit is not singing any film songs currently because he
feels there
> is a
> > lack of taste on the part of today's filmmakers and music
directors.
> "They
> > don't know what ghazals are all about and they lack good taste
in
> music.
> > What does AR Rahman know about ghazals? He will never use a
ghazal in
> his
> > films. All they do is pick up tunes from the West," he says.
> >
> > He criticises contemporary music directors for ruining the
Indianness