From: ichord <purev...@yahoo.com>
To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 3 October, 2009 6:16:12 PM
Subject: [arr] Re: Blue and some recent albums of ARR lacking soul

Gayathri,

You hit it spot on!  Exactly my thoughts too.  ARR moves forward, not
backwards.  It's ok to have your favorites, but we must not confuse nostalgia
with quality either.

--- In arrahmanfans@ yahoogroups. com, Gayathri Chandrakasan <gayathri_ck17@
...> wrote:

> I remember watching an interview of ARR with actor Vivek...it was just after
> the Oscars. ARR in answering one of the questions posed to him, said that he
> loves to compose songs using a particular raaga but the problem he faces is
> that the particular song ends up sounding similar to a song composed earlier.
> To avoid that, he began to use ragas that are not usually used to compose for
> a particular situation... he gave Hai Raama of Rangeela as an example by
> which a seductive song was composed using a classical carnatic raaga.
>
> Probably for the same reasons, ARR has decided to opt for hindustani and
> ghazal in tamil songs as opposed to the carnatic raagas used by most MDs
> here. In fact, I feel that this quality of ARR's i.e bringing in different
> flavour to his songs and thinking out of the box is what sets him apart from
> others.
>
> But whatever said and done, the usage of Northern classical does not mean
> that ARR has lost his 90's touches. He never lost his touches...he has only
> developed his music to a new level. When most MDs sit and compose a song in a
> customary manner, ARR doesn't even stick to what he created. He keeps
> creating new genres in music and moves forward.
>
> But the problem here is that some listeners (his fans included) only tend to
> think his 90's songs as magical and amazing...hence the uses of words such as
> "he lost his touch", "there's no longer soul in his songs" etc. But come to
> think of it, how long do you want him to sit and compose songs like Kadhal
> rojave and Minnale? Don't get me wrong, I love these songs. I truly believe
> these songs are amazing and stunning numbers, but so do songs like Munbe Vaa
> and Newyork Nagaram.
>
> It's kinda distressing that after all the development and changes ARR has
> painfully brought to the Indian music, there are still some who want him to
> stay to where he was 17 years ago.

      Now, send attachments up to 25MB with Yahoo! India Mail. Learn how.
http://in.overview.mail.yahoo.com/photos