**
Is it possible that it is a funky cache thing.  Maybe you should try enabling the mailbox, cycle the email engine, then disable the mailbox, and cycle the email engine again.

I don't think it would hurt.

Also, are you sure the e-mails going out are actaully going through that mailbox.  Is it possible that they are actually going through a different outgoing mailbox?
.ron