Mike,
  Check your permissions.
You'll need to be an "Asset Admin" member to use the buttons (at least to start
with
anyway...permissions are more complex now).

NB: If you change your permissions, you will need to shut down the user tool
completey and then re-open it! This is to clear the global fields which do not
seem
to get re-set upon a simple re-log in during the same session.

It's worth having a read of the Asset Management guide which details the new
permission concepts. These are now very sophistacted and include differenet
types of
access to different types of users depending upon which company owns the CI, who
supports it, which People Organizations use it, etc ...it's different to Asset
6.0
in this respect.

HTH
Chris.