All,

My experience with mid-tier configuration is limited, so bear with me ....

Our system is as follows (ITSM 8.1) :
Load balancer -> 5x Mid-tier servers -> Load balancer -> 5x AR Servers

For normal user connections, this seems to be working perfectly.

We're looking into a method of application and performance monitoring via
the mid-tier.  Now, we can establish a connection directly to each mid-tier
without an issue.  That'll allow us to keep an eye on the mid-tier
operation.

Currently the mid-tiers are only configured to connect to the AR Servers
via the load balancer.  We can add the individual AR Servers to the
mid-tier config pages (so mid-tier1 can have AR Server 1, mid-tier2 can
have AR Server 2, etc.), so that would allow us to establish a connection
from a specific mid-tier to a specific AR Server via the relevant
connection string.

However - I wouldn't want to implement something that would break the
normal user connection through load balancers.

Is this likely to be an issue - users will establish a connection via the
mid-tier load balancer URL, will the subsequent user connections from the
mid-tier use the "primary" (ie. first defined) server in the mid-tiers AR
Server Settings page?

Regards

Dave Barber