I get why after the experience of upgrading a pre AR System 7.6.4 to AR
System 7.6.4 especially when using the OTB ITSM suite, one may not walk away
without breaking a sweat..

With the introduction of overlays in AR System 7.6.4, the migration and
upgrade process added that one extra level of complexity. In many cases, the
solution was to do a clean install and then deal with data and customization
migration. This however, isn't a factor once you are already on AR System
7.6.04 and upgrading to a higher version. This singular factor was one of
the most painful points with the need to use the BPCU to make way for
overlays. This tool have had mixed results - which is why some sites
preferred the clean install upgrade path.

The whole purpose of the introduction of overlays was to make the upgrade
process a little more seamless and less painful, which is where it is at now
once you are already on 7.6.04.

So if your pain point was largely related to a pre 7.6.04 to a 7.6.04, your
path forward from 7.6.04 to 8.x and then 9.x should be a lot easier as the
success of these 2 major upgrades after 7.6.04 largely depends on just your
data migration and upgrade strategy.

Joe

  _____