We ran into these issues awhile back given some of our tables have
millions of rows, so we created a simple "search capture" form and
"search protection" dialog form.

These could help if uses are performing searching in forms or reports,
if they are searching via ODBC then you might consider limiting use to a
permission group or specific datetime range in the AR.CFG

The "search capture" is a form with some AL's that grab fields from a
form being searched or the advanced search (add the search bar field to
the form), if it is a crystal report you can decode the search with Set
fields ($PROCESS$ Application-Map-Ids-To-Names $ReportFormName$
$Search$)

The "search protection" recognizes specific search fields and/or
datetime field ranges.

Example of one scenario:

if STRSTR(SUBSTR($Search Bar$,STRSTR($Search Bar$, "'Create Date'") +
13), "'Create Date'") > 40 then a daterange is used (although there are
other permutations to check) - find the time between the range or some
other action

If the query doesn't meet criteria we direct the user to a separate
dialog form with selectable search criteria and limited date ranges.

Hope this helps

Pat Dill

Enterprise Tools Team

Roosevelt Commons, Floor 5