What kind of licensing issues are you thinking of? I probably would not
create workflow around forcing an updated. That is a procedural issue, not
a system issue (a common desire is to manage people via tech).

I haven't researched if this would have a negative affect in ITSM, but at
my last job we built our own incident management and change management apps
and I made sure to include a filter that would update the main ticket any
time an associated work log records was created/updated so there wasn't a
situation where the last modified date was older on the main ticket than a
work log entry. These apps had the same basic structure as ITSM where there
was a main record and related work log records (although audit and work log
were all recorded in the same form so you could see the full life cycle of
the ticket by looking at one table field / report). You want to consider
this route if want simply look at the last modified date on the main record
(assuming it wouldn't be updated by an escalation giving a false update).

Another thought is to have a SQL job that updates your custom field for
capturing last user modified date. It would be pretty quick performance
wise and wouldn't touch the core last modified by and last modified date
fields. By doing this then you can add the custom field to consoles like
you mention and allow for sorting by this value. Or you could use a
combination of this custom field that captures only user update times with
workflow on the work log record as mentioned in the last paragraph, many
options here.