So I built out all the functionality on our dev box using an escalation to
start.  I was expecting to see the Last Modified By to be AR_ESCALATOR and the
Last Modified Date to be the date the work log entry was created.  The update
was immediate when adding a work log entry from the Incident Management
Console, which was odd since I set the escalation to run in 5 min intervals.  I
opened the ticket and the Last Modified By was the user I used to submit the
work log entry.  I tried with a user account that only had read access to see
if it would throw any errors.  I then tried in production with none of the code
transferred over and everything worked as intended.

I know there was some challenges in the past with the ITSM Suite especially
when SRM came around.  There were a lot of kinks to work out with allowing any
user to submit, submitter mode lock, and licensing.  People developed many
workarounds to essentially by pass the errors BMC/Remedy would pop up on the
screen to force licensing.  This and permissions was always a challenge when
you start looking at row level access.  Hence the addition of additional
permission fields and parent groups.

I don't think 7.6.04 had the updates to the Last Modified fields like described
above.  It's been a while so I may be off on the version.  8.x I didn't mess
around with so I'm not sure if it might have been updated in that version or
9.x.  I haven't dug into how the system is updating the field on the backend.
However, it is not traditional workflow that is updating the fields.

Brian