LJ,

The reason for my post was more to point out that the timing of a
"patch" might be different for different customers. If you have an
issue, then Tech support might have ways to help you faster than the
"official" release of a patch.

Our problem details are different from your problem. ( So the "fix"
that we have might not do anything for your specific issue. ) The
point was simply that we might have received an "out of band" patch to
help us in the last few days with a v7.1 Mid-tier issue. I hope I did
not get your hopes up that your problem might already be resolved.
That was not my intention.

What we found was a problem with v7.1 Mid-tier functionality with a
patch 22 v6.3 server. (Sorry I mis-stated it before. We actually were
totally unable to get the v7.1 Mid-Tier to authenticate any users
against the v6.3 patch 20 ARS server! I have no idea if that was also
fixed in the update from Tech support.)  In specifics, we did not test
v6.3 patch 21 with either of these problems.  However, since a patch
to the Mid-tier appears to fix at least one of these issues then I
would strongly suspect that any v6.3 server would suffer from the
issue that we found. And BTW, a KB entry was found detailing how our
error condition could be produced in an older Java API client and how
it could be "worked around" by using a different Java API call. So my
guess is that someone updated the v7.1 Mid-tier to do just that when
it is talking to an older ARS server.

We were amazed that each of these bugs made it past QA for the initial
release of v7.1's Mid-Tier. They really must not have tested that
stated compatibility matrix line (w/6.3 ARS server) to well, or we are
doing something that they just did not expect us to do. ( So I guess
BMC has not embraced TDD "Test Driven Design" programming techniques
yet. Sigh, maybe someday.)

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black