-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 12:54 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: RUG update

Norm,

The simplest (and IMHO the best) one line answer is this....

"
Eclipse is an "IDE for everything and nothing in particular"
"
( I use to see this on Eclipse's web site, but I can not find the reference
any more... )

An older ref:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse.html
"
The Eclipse Platform is designed for building integrated development
environments (IDEs). It can be used to create diverse end-to-end computing
solutions for multiple execution environments. This article discusses the
platform, and includes a list of questions and answers.
"

And some more modern updates: http://www.eclipse.org/home/newcomers.php
"
What is Eclipse?

Eclipse is an open source community whose projects are focused on building
an extensible development platform, runtimes and application frameworks for
building, deploying and managing software across the entire software
lifecycle. Many people know us, and hopefully love us, as a Java IDE but
Eclipse is much more than a Java IDE.
"

For example... if BMC decided to use the "Rich Client
Platform"(RCP)(http://www.eclipse.org/home/categories/rcp.php) they they
would have a ready to go framework that is advertised as:
"
Eclipse RCP is a platform for building and deploying rich client
applications. It includes Equinox, a component framework based on the OSGi
standard, the ability to deploy native GUI applications to a variety of
desktop operating systems, such as Windows, Linux and Mac OSX and an
integrated update mechanism for deploying desktop applications from a
central server.
"

So any application built using the RCP could (should) run on Windows or
Linux or Mac OSX without changes. (Yes that might be further limited by any
JNI layer that BMC might still be using. (However, rumor is that might be
gone by the time 7.5 comes around too.. :) )

HTH. But until we see how BMC did things... we will have no idea if there
will be opportunities for us to add to/improve/patch the new Admin Tool. (I
am hopeful, but only time will tell.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Nov 2, 2007 2:27 PM, Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96 CS/SCCE
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And could you tell us some more about its cool features? I guess I'm
confused about it being based on Eclipse.  Eclipse is primarily a Java IDE
and I don't see how that's going to work with Remedy's point-and-click
development method.