Ever since the release of OS X 10.5 the IT trade press (eWeek, ZDNet,
etc.,) has been full of reports of security and compatibility problems,
especially with the default installation of the firewall that replaces
the 10.4 firewall. Basically, a system is much less secure after an
upgrade from 10.4, and requires a lot of obtuse tinkering at the command
line to get it locked back down - something most users will not (or
cannot) do effectively.  Also, they are reporting that file handling has
new problems, with data loss during file moves, and that wireless
connectivity is degraded.  Basically, worse problems than we saw with
the initial release of Vista except for compatibility of apps.  Most
folks here are saying that they will wait until Apple releases some
patches to address these issues before they will upgrade the machines
they depend on to do work - and these are the hard-core, veteran Mac
users saying it!

During the 7.1 beta and since we have also seen better results with
FireFox 2.0 than Safari 3.0.3 beta from OS X 10.4.x against mid-tier
7.1, but have not tried the release version of Safari 3 - no one has
volunteered a system to risk in an upgrade to 10.5.  Before the month is
out, I'll have to upgrade something and test it, but other priorities
beckon.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center
http://remedy.unt.edu/