I have experienced the slow script error message as well and we are
using Help Desk 5.6 on Mid Tier 7.1.

-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of strauss
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:59 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OSX 10.5 + Safari + ARS 7.1 = :)

Now that OS X 10.5.1 has been released with security patching for many
of the problems in 10.5.0, I have been brave (or foolish) enough to
upgrade several machines to 10.5.1.  It was partly out of irritation.

Last week I opened a new ticket with BMC on the problems that Safari
3.0.4 has with ITSM 7.0.02.006 in mid-tier 7.1 - the same problems the
Safari beta had against 7.1, I might add.  Support told me my complaint
was invalid since I was testing on an "unsupported" OS - 10.4.11 (and
sent me a free copy of the 7.1.00 Compatibility Matrix to add to my
collection).  Over the weekend I installed 10.5.1 and tried again, and
to my complete and utter amazement, Safari 3.0.4 on OS X 10.5.1
misbehaves EXACTLY the same way it does on 10.4.11.  Imagine that. The
most prominent misbehaviors, all of which ultimately lead to your
bailing out of Safari with possibly a floating license left in use are:

The Close button on the Incident Console (and others) blanks the screen
but fails to return to the Home Page from which it was launched.  Unless
you load the debug menu for Safari and turn them off (unselect Enable
Runaway JavaScript Timer), you will be entertained by a series of Slow
Script error messages. Forcing a refresh of the browser brings back the
Incident Console in all of its glory most of the time, but if you wait
long enough before doing so, it may bring up the Home Page.

Failing to load the Home Page and obtain access the Logout link there,
you click on the Logout item on the Incident Console.  Or click on the
Logout link on the Home Page - you don't need to go anywhere else to
test this, you are trapped in a session you cannot end as soon as it
loads.  You will now experience either a never ending chain of Slow
Script errors, or having suppressed them, a frozen screen with an
insanely whirling colored spinner.  Time to remember where the
open-Apple - Option - Esc keys are (that's Command-Option-Esc for you
younger folks) and do a Force Quit of Safari.  You're done, and the
armidtier0.log just hangs right in its tracks until something happens in
a valid session from a different client.

Obviously Safari 3.0.4 on OS X 10.5.1 and ITSM 7.x over mid-tier 7.1
aren't any more ready for prime time than they were on 10.4.11.  As I
mentioned Thursday, all other functions of the application are actually
quite a bit faster, even on the old slug-bug of a Mac Mini Core Solo I
have at home. I guess it's back to FireFox 2.0 (2.0.0.7 to be exact) for
now; it only can't comprehend the Close button any better than Safari
(or IE 7.0, for that matter), but it CAN Logout and theoretically
release any licenses.

Christopher Strauss, Ph.D.
Remedy Database Administrator
University of North Texas Computing Center http://remedy.unt.edu/