Mark,

That is actually a tool that I have not spent any time with. So I can
not compare them directly.

Yes both are documentation tools for ARS. ( And there are several
commercial products too.)

However... a little more detail on my stuff is simply this...

The output is totally controlled by XSLT transformations. So if a
person knows XSLT (or can read the existing stack of them and tweak
them) then they could change the output to what ever they want it to
do. Currently it generates HTML/Javascript for browser consumption,
but I can also see it being specialized into CSV file generators very
easily.

So if ARInside offers that same "simple" total customization approach
then I guess it does do the "same things". But I doubt it is as
flexible as the approach that I am taking.

I have found my tool helpful for many things over the years, but it is
not (by any other hands than mine) polished into a final form. So it
"works" as much as it does, but it is not "tested" on a larger scale
than my desktops too.

FWIW:  Ok.. I just went out and found a copy of ARInside out there in
the internet (version ARInside-Setup-2-07-2.msi to be exact) and I
remember why I have not used ARInside before. It requires the ".Net
Framework v2.x" and I do not load that on any of my PC's. So it is a
"no go" as far as I am concerned at that point. Which is why I have
never used it.

However even at that a quick review of the 10 page pdf docs that is
included in that version tells me a few things are different in our
approaches...

ARInside: Command line utility that appears to produce a set of
"output fies" that are all generated at run time.
my web app: Web server based: produces one output "page" at a time. (
currently no "batch generate all" pages option)

ARInside: uses ARS API
my web app: Only parses XML into output formats (at this time, no API
requirements, so in theory you could put this web application on a MAC
based web server and make it work too.)

And I am sure there are other differences too... ( like maybe ARInside
is faster, or has better documentation, better output, or...etc...)

So again... if anyone is interested let me know if you want to know
more about "my web app". (Which by the way I currently refer to
"arsxml" because I could not come up with a better name than that. :)

Oh.. and did I mention that my intention was to be open sourced with
this project from day one? :) [ Again... like ARSDocs ]

The shortest explanation is "ARSDocs but: using Java instead of Perl,
and reduce time from "need information to result outputs". (and
totally based on open standards/needs, and "easily"(and totally)
customizable without "programming" skills. Well, limited to XSLT
skills.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)