SQL Server will have some tools to help you find those bottlenecks. 2005
is supposed to have a lot of new features, but I haven't used it. You
can also use Performance Monitor and look at disk activity. I believe
the counters come with an explanation of each metric and what acceptable
values are. If not, you can Google them.

We had ours on a RAID 5 on a SAN and we moved it to a larger RAID 10 set
on a different SAN and it made a world of difference. We were seeing
long waits in API and SQL calls, low CPU usage, and no network
saturation. It wouldn't take long for a chain of blocked database
processes to block all of our AR Server threads, resulting in slow
response. Examination of the blocking processes showed they were all
waiting on some process that held a lock on a table or index or whatever
that all the other processes needed to access. Examination of our SAN
showed it was being overworked. Switching to RAID 10 alleviated all
those problems.

Chad Hall
(501) 342-2650