Some additional points we may want to consider:

1.  BMC Remedy appears to be tracking to ITIL standards rather closely.  If
ITIL is the objective, then the strategy should lean toward fully developed
applications with little room for customization (thus ensuring ITIL
compliance).  If your organization is not moving towards ITIL, then BMC
Remedy's product strategy may indeed appear to be out of synch with your
operational requirements.

2.  The long-term Remedy sales people (so few are left!) probably remember
the .com era, when every startup thought nothing of dropping $100K or more
to install a Remedy system.  Unfortunately, when the .com bubble burst,
Remedy was left with hundreds of customers who could no longer pay their
annual support fees.  That hurt Remedy financially, but it also reduced
Remedy's budget for future product enhancements.  Could be Remedy learned a
painful lesson, and no longer wants small- and mid-sized customers to be its
primary customer base.

3.  BMC Remedy may also be taking a lesson from IBM and their acquisition of
Lotus Notes.  When Notes first rolled out (more a document repository and
collaboration tool, backed by an object database with a great search engine
-- messaging was almost an afterthought) it was a unique toolkit that
allowed creative developers to deploy dozens of applications.  But Lotus
(and later IBM) never offered any pre-built ready-to-use applications, and
the Lotus Notes product began losing market share.  While some may argue BMC
Remedy doesn't adequately promote the ARS toolkit, others may argue it would
be suicidal if BMC Remedy didn't aggressively market pre-built ready-to-use
applications.

4.  Personally, I don't understand why BMC Remedy doesn't market (directly
or through a third-party partner) their products under a
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model.  Seems like a win-win situation for BMC
Remedy and their customers -- the customer needs a little training and then
BAM! they are off and running, while BMC Remedy collects a nice monthly fee
for every user connection.  This would also make it simple for BMC Remedy to
showcase new products.  And imagine, never going through another upgrade!

Comments/questions/corrections/complaints/rants welcome, on or off the
ARSlist.

-- Bing

Bradford Bingel ("Bing")
ITM3 California