To avoid this heading down a path that will cause confusion, let me try
and
provide some insight into what is happening and you should find that all
permutations of what you are getting, what folks remember, or when
things might
or might not be visible are explained.

If a field is assigned access to a group and YOU are a member of that
group
   -- You will see the field AND you will see data in the field
   -- You can read the data and if the group is assigned change access,
change
         the field (within licensing restrictions of course)

If a field is assigned access to Public
   -- EVERYONE can see the field AND EVERYONE can see data in the field

If a field has the "Allow any user to submit" option set
   -- REGARDLESS OF ANY GROUP ASSIGNMENT, EVERYONE can see the field
          (you have said that ANY user can submit data so they have to
be able
           to see the field to submit things)
   -- Whether they can see data or not is dependent on other group
settings
       if NO other groups are assigned, then there will be no data
access but
       you can see the field

If the Submitter, Assignee, Assignee Group, or the other implicit row
level
security groups are assigned any permission
   -- REGARDLESS OF ANY GROUP ASSIGNMENT, EVERYONE can see the field
          (you have said that if their group membership matches, they
can see
           the data so that means they have to be able to see the field)
   -- Whether they can see data or not is dependent on the CONTENT of
the
        field or fields on the form that match the groups assigned
permissions

So, if ANY of the following things are true, you can see the field:
   1) You are a member of a group assigned permission
   2) The field has "Allow any user to Submit" assigned
   3) The field has any of the implicit groups assigned (Submitter,
Assignee,
         Assignee Group, or the other 1000 row level security groups you
can
         create)

If NONE of these are true, you cannot see the field under any
circumstances

Once the field is visible, permissions control whether or not you can
see the
data in the field.  So, just seeing the field does not mean that you can
necessarily see data in the field. OR that you can see the data for all
rows.
You may be able to for some rows but not others because of row level
security.

In the different scenarios being discussed, the permission of the group
is
generally checked and it is found that the user doesn't have permission
by
an explicit group assignment.  However, the "Allow any user to submit"
or the
use of implicit groups is generally not looked at and that is the source
of
why a field would be visible when not expected.

If you look at all the items noted here, I think you will find that the
field
is visible or not and the data within it is visible or not consistently
under
the rules stated.

I hope this helps stop confusion about the rules of field visibility.

Doug Mueller