From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jiri Pospisil
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:10 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: IIS remoteuser for Single-Sign On

Please Read The Disclaimer At The Bottom Of This Email

Shawn,

the authentication string is a token generated for the user session when the
user originally authenticates to the domain.
The token is then passed around rather than user password.
>From my experience when I was setting this up, the authentication string was
>much much longer, something like this:
NTLM
HTCNTVNTUAADAAAAGAAYAHAAAAAYABgAiAAAAAgACABAAAAAGgAaAEYYYYAOAA4AYgAAAAAAAAXXXXAABQKAAEMATwBSAFAASgBpAHIAaQAuAFAAbwBzAHAAaQBzAGkAbABXADIAVwAxADIAOAAzAE0g14rtdJfdVeO6oYXVB1nz9SPr3lERvY/snjit2PixS+1HSCrHd8UuoXHIdUCR5E==

As you can see, the string is also prefixed by the type of the authentication
method.
What you are getting looks more like encrypted password, but that is just a
wild guess.

I know that tomcat has some sample servlets that can be accessed through
http://server_name/servlets-examples/
One of them prints all headers of the request including the authorization
string. You can amend it so that it also prints the user name.

Hope this helps.
Jiri