The issue is running an X-Windows emulator - there is literally no way I
can install this patch as things sit today.  I do not have one.  I do
not know of one that can be installed.

We are checking on what we have to do to get one that is approved -
rumor has it there may be one buried somewhere in the approved software
list.  If that is true we may be okay in the long term BUT it will still
take weeks to get it approved and installed.

The worst case scenario means a LONG process to procure the client
software, have it reviewed for security, have it approved, make the
change request for the install on the local PCs, get the actual install
done, and then actually DO the upgrade.

That could easily take months.

OS patches, etc are all done by the sys admins for us of course.  That
stuff is fairly normal.  We never see it - but as far as I know they are
not using any X-Windows emulator.

If that is true we may be okay.  If not it means a LONG process to
procure the client software, have it reviewed for security, have it
approved, make the change request for the install on the local PCs, get
the actual install done, and then actually DO the upgrade.

That process alone could be months.....there are 37 days left in the
budget for my time here with the customer.....so.......

The larger issue is of course that BMC made this change without really
advertising it.  And the documentation is horrid.  The patch 7 docs for
example literally only say what I originally quoted.  They do not
mention emulators, etc, which are of course the only way to do this on
the vast majority of Unix servers.  It simply says (paraphrasing) "Run
the binary and the splash screen comes up".  Furthermore later in the P7
docs it is referring to the install directory and does so exclusively in
Windows terms (with Windows screenshots).  This is not acceptable.  If
BMC is really going to cater to enterprise customers they are going to
have to at LEAST make the documentation reflect how things actually work
in Unix environments.

I work with BMC PS quite regularly and I'm going to run this up the
chain.  I am a fan of BMC and their product lines but there is certainly
room for improvement at the moment.