LJ,

Sorry for the slow response, but I have been away from email for a few days.

This thread has shown that you were not the first customer to stumble
over this problem. ( ITIL: A problem is a reoccurring incident that
one or more customers has over time.)

The idea that the docs are cheaper to fix has been suggested, and I do
not agree with that idea. The docs are easier to fix, but the total
cost of the decision would still be on going. It is clearly possible
for a software tool to identify the format of the file and adjust it's
parsing for the format. (Just as "Meta-Update" claims to do.)  It
would even be possible to be more "radical" and switch the file format
to a more standard, platform independent and stable format like XML
too.

I wonder how much it costs BMC to have tech support spend hours (or
days? or weeks?) trying to troubleshoot a FTP file conversion(or not
converted) problem?  Good luck guys trying to get someone who does not
understand what an ASCII file format is to tell you over the phone
that when they transferred the file to the Unix server if it was auto
converted. I have been in that chair, it is not an easy or quick task
to achieve. Not to mention that the user might have actually used any
number of clients/protocols to actually move the file from one to the
other. sneaker net [due to network security design/requirements], scp,
sftp, ftp, http [wget from the command line], etc...

I wonder how much it costs customers, in terms of confidence in the
BMC product line, when a "simple" thing like file format based on OS
line endings prevent the tools from working as expected? Is this a
common trait for "Enterprise class software"?

I would bet that if BMC could find all of the incidents and add up all
of the time that tech support has already spent on this issue that
half of that time could have made the necessary change to the
arimportcmd tool source. (But then again, maybe BMC's programmers are
not as fast, with what appears from the outside to be a simple change,
as we would want them to be.)

LJ, I think you are very justified for this being a "RANT".

And if it were me..... knowing how many other customers have been
impacted by this problem over the years, I would insist that the
incident be left open until the "problem" is fixed. BMC will define
that as updating the docs and that is their prerogative. But you
should keep the clock ticking on that incident until the problem is
corrected. Push them to update all the docs, for all currently
supported versions. (The same problem exists in all of them.)  Maybe
if we ( I take this approach from time to time with incidents that BMC
wants to dismiss into "doc bugs".) take the time to show BMC how much
the details hurt us, by helping them to measure the amount of time
their customers wait for "simple things" then maybe someday, someone
will see those details in the Tech support numbers and understand that
changing the docs is not cheaper. Rather, the next phone call might
have the same problem and cost BMC yet again, because they choose a
"easy" way out by requiring the customer to be "smarter" instead of
requiring their software to be "smarter".

But maybe I am just stuck on that soapbox with you. We feel your pain.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM, LJ Longwing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> **
> they opened a documentation defect (SW00295365) to indicate that a
> conversion is needed to use it on non Windows workstations....I know this
> would have saved me A LOT of work if it had been documented before...

<snip>