Kevin:
This situation is not a ploy to sell services.  In its simplest form, the fact
is that ITIL adoption is a complex endeavor, and if your organization is not
willing to front-load their effort, then ITIL adoption may not be for them.
Everything that Chris mentioned is important.  Beyond what Chris wrote, it's
necessary to understand the thought processes that lead him to write what he
did.
If your concern is future usability, then it is necessary to make your very
best effort to anticipate what the future needs will be.  Only after this
process is grossly conlcluded can the CMDB be configured to meet the need.
Along with this concept, understand that the expected need will never exactly
match the actual future need, and so all you can do is make your best effort.
Just like CQI, ITIL is a journey, not a destination.
Less philosophically, my strongest recommendation to a customer is to not add
any new attributes or classes unless there is a demonstrable business need for
the new class/attribute.  In my experience, customers are often suprised how
many CIs can be tracked using simply the BaseElement class.  My personal #1
rule of CMDB: unless there is a business need to consume the data, do not store
the data in the CMDB.  This rule extends to the Product Catalog, in that if
there is no need to consume the data, then there is no need to categorize the
data.
Also, as Shawn mentioned, if you're using BMC's AM module, you have many
restrictions in the day-to-day use of your data, so some of these questions,
when pursued to their logical conclusion, will lead you to "it doesn't matter."
Just My $0.02,
--Phil