Regarding Functional Roles:  All they should need is the Infrastructure
Change Assignee role or the Infrastructure Change Manager role in order
to move this change forward.

Also -
I just went back and read where you stated that the Status field is
disabled.  This is eerily similar to an issue I experienced during my
first Change implementation.  We found a couple of problems during
troubleshooting, so maybe I should take you down that path as well.  The
tool obviously thinks that there is an approval necessary at this point,
which is why the status field is disabled, so let's try this:

1.  We found a problem with the approval process not running completely
- To verify that the Approval Server is running, or to audit Approval
Server activity, you can turn on Approval Server logging in
AP:Administration form to check this.
2.  If you are using the OOTB approval process configurations, which
process name are you using (for example: Change Level CI - Business).  I
can compare these administration settings to what I have OOTB to see if
there are any differences.
3.  What are the phases in your approval process configuration, where
the starting phase is Request for Authorization?

Thanks,
Lisa