Sivarama,

Maybe what you can do is setup the auto assignment the same but setup different
groups  that will be assigned as the Change Manager vs Change Assignee vs
Change Implementer.

Then based on the out of box notifications, you can see which ones you want to
eliminate that fire at certain stages so that the Change manager (lets say) is
notified after the Change ticket has been authorized and is moved to Planning
In Progress.  Then when the ticket goes to Scheduled, the only email that is
sent out is the Change Assignee and/or Change Implementer.  Then the Change
Implementor or Assignee would update and then Complete the request and the
email would go just back to the Change Manager letting them know that the
Change was completed.

This way you essentially have different groups playing different roles for your
change requests and this would avoid any workflow or form customizations.

Thanks
Peter Lammey
ESPN MIT Technical Services & Applications Management
860-766-4761