I think that the number of records is the core problem.  In a maintenance
mode, I suspect it will work fine, but with the thousands of records added
via installations, the workflow structure couldn't keep up.  That's just an
educated (and perhaps optimistic) guess on my part, but that would be the
first thing I would try toward resolving the issue.  The Delete workflow
seems like it could be constructed more efficiently, but I don't think
that's the core of the problem.

Rick