Is the approval server bound to a custom form or a form in the ITSM
suite?  If bound to one of the ITSM forms, there are bypasses in the
licensing enforcement that allow people to approve with a read
license.  If bound to a custom form, you can in essence bypass the
licensing requirements by using filters to update the underlying
records, simply put some filters on a display on form and have the
user with the read license push to that display only form using an
active link and then pick up the remainder of the updates using
filters.  I worked with BMC support at one point in the past and
verified that this was not a violation of our licensing agreement if
used in this way for this specific purpose.

You should consider describing the problem you are trying to address
from the start as there may be approaches you have not considered that
people can share.

Axton Grams