Meta-Update does this easily.  Here's the salient lines of a script that
reads diary fields from an ITSM 6 Help Dest, and updates the WorkLog.  In
this case, the 7 Help Desk form contains a field with the reference of the
6.3 Help Desk Id.

The idea is to show you how easy it is to script an api data script with
Meta-Update.

[DoDiaryCvt]
#    Loop through all tickets on the ITSM 6 server and launch the diary
conversion
Query  = @Itsm6Svr, Hpd6, HPD:Help Desk, '1' > 0
Launch = ProcessDiary

[ProcessDiary]
#    Load the ITSM 7 ticket and then loop though all of the
#    Diary entries in the ITSM 6 ticket's Notes field
#    creating or updating a WorkLog record.
#    We'll use Merge because we want the modified users and dates set as
they were in the diary field
LoadQ  = Hpd7,  Hpd:Help Desk, 'Itsm6 Hpd Id' = "$Hpd6, Notes$"
Loop   = Diary, WrkSrc, $Hpd, Notes$
Update = WkL, HPD:WorkLog,                                              &
             'Incident Number' = "$Hpd7, Incident Number$"     AND      &
             'Submit Date*'    = "$WrkSrc, DateDmy$"           AND      &
             'Submitter*'      = "$WrkSrc, User$"
Assign     = Wrk-asg
AssignNew  = Wrk-asg
Merge      = Yes, NoWorkflow

#- assignments for both new and update ------------------- asg   -------
[Wrk-asg]
Incident Number      = Hpd7, Incident Number
Incident Entry ID    = Hpd7, 1
Submitter            = WrkSrc, User
Submit Date          = WrkSrc, Date
Last Modified By     = WrkSrc, User
Last Modified Date   = WrkSrc, Date
Short Description    = WrkSrc, Text
Description          = WrkSrc, Text
Detailed Description = WrkSrc, Text
Status               = Enabled
Secure Work Log      = Yes
View Access          = Internal
Work Log Submitter   = WrkSrc, User
Work Log Submit Date = WrkSrc, Date
Work Log Date        = WrkSrc, Date
Work Log Type        = "Working Log"

Cheers
Senior Software Architect
Software Tool House Inc.

Canada / Deutschland / Germany
Mobile:      +49 162 175 0956   GMT + 1 + [ DST ]
Email:        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web:          <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/>
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com

A free notepad for Diary fields:
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/downloads/DiaryFieldEditor.htm>
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/downloads/DiaryFieldEditor.htm
An ARS API scripting tool used for migrations, integrations, imports,
reports, extracts, batch jobs:
 <http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/products/SthMupd>
http://www.softwaretoolhouse.com/products/SthMupd

  _____