I'm not a US citizen so I might have missed something here. Why would Remedy
7.5 not be allowed at government clients? Because it contains open source?
It still is a closed-source product, but it just has some components that
use open source software. In the 7.5 version this is pretty visible: it's
the Eclipse-based Developer Studio. But for quite some time Remedy has
included Open Source components; they always shipped the product with a copy
of the different (Apache- and Gnu-) licenses. Since 7.1 the default java
servlet engine switched to Tomcat, which is open source. I believe the ICU
unicode component is present since version 6 and the Xerces and Xalan
components - all open source - even longer. So my point is, if the US
Government is not allowed to use product that contain open source software
components, Remedy shouldn't have been allowed for years.

The statement William makes on being able to call something in the middle of
the night is not valid in my opinion; if you have a support contract you can
call BMC any time of day (or business hours only - depending on your support
contract.. ;-) ) if you have any problems with the BMC product. It does not
matter if the problem is with the open- or the closed source component, the
very same service levels apply.

In The Netherlands the situation is 100% different; a law has passed to
support Open Source software. In the public sector, Open Source software
should be used if possible. If your organisation wants to use closed source,
you have to prove that you need certain features that are not present in an
open source product before you can spend tax payer's money on expensive
solutions...
See also this publication on the subject:
http://appz.ez.nl/publicaties/pdfs/07ET15.pdf

Kind regards,
--
Michiel Beijen