Axton,

My Web Services experience is only current through v6.3. ( Which is
now EOL'ed. :( ) So maybe some of these ideas have been addressed
partially or totally in 7.5, but I doubt it.

First I will divide this question it to two questions:

Q1) What do you think about how ARSystem publishes WebServices?
A1) Overall Grade: B.
      Major Areas that need improvement;
       * Error handling  -->  Log to ARS form
                               --> To ARS Group (for real time notifications)
       * support for missing complex XML structures

      Improvement ideas:
        * Allow for one or more XSLT transformations before/after the WebService
        * Never allow for a break in functionality like what happened
at v7.0.1. GRRRR.
           Which broke ARS connectivity from Mid-Tiers newer than "x" and
             ARS servers that were older than "x"(the same version).

Q2) What do you think about how ARSystem consumes WebServices?
A2) Overall Grade: C.
      Major Areas that need improvement;
       * "Advanced" mode for Set field from a Web Service
           - Support data driven Method, InputMap, and/or OutputMap values
           - Provide a way for an "Alias" to be used to "MAP" a
WebService "URL" from ar.conf .
              ( To allow prod and dev to be coded [filter objects
identical] the same
                but the ARServer points at different target URLs at runtime.)
       * Better fail/retry options.
          Maybe retry N times then throw the ARERROR.
          Maybe support "On fail call WebService 'other' instead" of ARERROR
          Maybe support "On fail call FilterGuide 'fGuide' instead of ARERROR
       *  Allow for each consuming action to control the timeout for
that external call.
            Instead of only having one global setting on the AR Server
level let the action
            define a more restrictive value for that action.
       * Allow for one or more XSLT transformations before/after the WebService
       * Support the full XML standard without restrictions for some
XML structures.
          Even if ARS can not publish all XML structures it should be
able to consume them all. :)

I am sure there are other ideas that have slipped into the void over
the time I have used ARS WebService interfaces... but that is what
comes to mind right now.

Hope that helps.

In general, I look forward to the day that all attributes of ARS
workflow(AKA: every setting of every action) can be data driven. That
will be a very big step forward for the platform.

--
Carey Matthew Black
BMC Remedy AR System Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach
Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.