That you end up with two sets of clients (different versions) is a feature and
not a bug. You can have 7.1 clients and 7.5 on the same machine and run them
concurrently against an appropriate server.

That being said, I had a brief look at this thread and while I do agree there
are 'some' installation issues with the 7.5 installer, it is still however
possible to upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5 if you are able to tweak your system in
accordance to what the installer might be expecting.

Here is one tip on what I felt was necessary to do when I noticed the
installer started borgging up in my case where the host name was not the same
as the AR Server name on 7.1. The installer would not be able to connect to the
AR Server after providing it with the connection credentials and selecting the
alias name from the list of the AR Server List.

In the older system you could pretty much call your local AR Server
(AR_SERVER_ID) practically anything you wanted, but 7.5 expects it to be the
local host name. So if you are upgrading from an older system whose host name
was different from the AR Server Name, then the install script fails to resolve
the AR Server. Recently when I raised a ticket to Remedy Support, they
identified this as a software defect.

To overcome this on UNIX, I had to create a symbolic link in the /etc/arsystem
directory after the host name of the server, pointing to the
/etc/arsystem/<Arbitrary AR Sever Name>.

Having done this I was able to trick the installer to believe the AR Server
name is the host name of the machine.

However after the install this means that the arsystem startup script will have
the AR_SERVER_ID to the host name. Also the new armonitor.conf file and the
modified ar.conf file will have the host name for the AR Server Name.

These files will need to be modified again if you need to maintain the name of
the server as the old alias.

I'm hoping they resolve this connection issue in the next release..

Joe